Do you know about the GSO funding and reimbursement opportunities?
Thanks to GSO treasurer Christine Wang and GSO senator Tracy Radsvick for organizing this information!
On behalf of the GSO Executive Committee, below is detailed information on funding opportunities that are afforded to you by the GSO. If you pay the $45 graduate student activity fee and have an active GSO senator in your department, you are eligible for these funds!
!GSO Funding and Reimbursement Opportunities!
Funding opportunities not only include reimbursement money for presenting and seeking professional development but also include funding for recreational activities outside of academics. AND we have recently doubled funding for recreation (see below). You can view the application for more details on the Applications page or these slides that go over a quick overview of all the funds.
Be aware that the spring deadline is April 20, 2022, and funds are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Many budget lines have doubled this year, so more students can get them. BUT please remember that fellow grad students process the applications so waiting until the deadline is not great.
Departmental Allocations: GSO Senators may use their departmental funds for items/events that will benefit their department’s graduate students (i.e., items for a student lounge, speaker series, social event, etc). It cannot be used for general course material types things. Total funds per department have been raised from $800 to $1,600! Contact your department senator if you have ideas to use this funding.
Conference funding lines:
· Resource Access Project (RAP):If you are presenting or performing at a conference/festival/workshop. Reimbursements are up to $1000 and can cover conference registration, society membership fees, lodging, travel, and food.
· Professional Development Fund (PDF):Reimbursements are up to $600 and can include professional society memberships, interview preparation tools, LinkedIn subscriptions, online courses or certification exams outside of degree requirements, conferences (only if you are attending, not presenting), and related lodging, travel, and food.
· Distinguished Travel Award (DTA):Have you been accepted to present or perform at a prestigious conference/festival? Reimbursements are up to $1,750 per fiscal year* (competitive application process this involves the selection of 6 out of ~40 applications from SBU’s finest – take time on this application). Deadline for application: April 4, 2022.
Recreational Fitness and Cultural Events:
Fitness reimbursement now covers up to $300 per fiscal year* for gym memberships, registration for exercise classes (online or in-person), marathon or obstacle races, etc.
Cultural reimbursement also now covers up to $300 per fiscal year* to attend theater shows, concerts, museums, sporting events, including e-sports, etc.
Travel Reimbursement:Reimbursements are 50% of total travel costs, up to $400, depending on the funding line per fiscal year.* This is NOT general, it’s only for the circumstances below.
· NYC Seminar/Workshop travel (up to $400)
· Inter-University Doctoral Consortium (IUDC) travel (up to $400)
· Graduate Research travel: traveling to Cold Spring Harbor/Brookhaven National Labs for lab rotations (up to $400)
· Internship Travel: traveling to internships or field work (up to $400)
Clubs/Organizations Funds: Stony Brook official clubs with 50% graduate student members and 50% graduate students on the executive boards may be eligible for GSO funds, ranging from $500 – $1,200 depending on the number of graduate student members.
*Note: Expenses must be made within the current GSO fiscal year, July 1, 2021 – May 31, 2022, but please note that the spring application deadline is April 20, 2022. If you know you will be attending an event outside of the fiscal year, either make your purchases before April 20th to request funds for the current fiscal year or after June 30th to request funds for the next fiscal year.
Please contact your GSO senator or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions AFTER you have checked out the GSO Funding FAQs page for more information.